.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Broken Chains

5.16.2006

Works-for-Me Wednesday: Meal Planning and Grocery Shopping



It's Works-for-Me-Wednesday over at Rocks In My Dryer. I've enjoyed Shannon's blog for a few weeks now, and thought I'd add my two cents to her weekly column. Not sure if I'll have anything for next Wednesday... Be sure to click on over to her blog to see the other participants and their helpful hints.

I'm not the most organized person in the world--my husband will be the first to agree. Before the birth of our daughter, we discussed how things would have to change around here to keep the household running smoothly while we adjusted to being parents and the demands of a newborn. He volunteered to take on some of "my" duties, such as laundry and grocery shopping. Well, the laundry never got done quickly enough when it was "his" job, so I've taken that over again, but we've gotten into a routine with the grocery shopping that has really made my life easier.

Neil didn't want to be running to the store three or four times a week like I typically would, so we sat down on a Saturday morning (after we'd received the grocery fliers) and planned our menu for the following week. We write a simple list consisting of day of the week, what's for dinner, time we'll eat, and if we have any post-dinner meetings planned. Because Neil is home at varying times every week, and because he often goes away in the evenings, this is a great way for me to glance at the list on the fridge and be able to have dinner ready on time. It also cuts down tremendously on the whole "it's five o'clock and I have no idea what we're having for dinner" stress. We tend to eat better, and we resort to junk food for dinner much less often.

The other side of it is the grocery list. Once we have the menu planned, I make the grocery list, checking my cupboards and fridge for ingredients. I'm much more aware now of what we actually have in the kitchen, since I check things at least once a week. This has led to more creative and interesting meals that use ingredients we already have...therefore, we spend less money on groceries, as well! We've been doing the groceries together lately, and we can whip through the stores pretty quickly with the list.

I rarely have to hit the grocery store during the week (do you know how hard it is to lug a 17lb 4-month-old around in her not-so-light car seat, especially when you're only 5' tall and not much over 100lbs? yeah. not so easy. my biceps are awesome.). I look at my menu in the morning to see if I have to take meat out to thaw, and then pretty much can forget about dinner until it's time to prepare it.

All around, this works really well for our family. Now, if anyone has a helpful hint about getting a 4-month-old to play happily by herself while I'm actually preparing dinner...or perhaps how to remind her that she indeed does like to take naps...

11 Comments:

  • We did that too! Plus, we were only paid once a month, so we would purchase everything we would need for the entire month, only going back for perishables - milk, eggs, etc. It's amazing how much you can save on food if you don't go into the store as much!

    By Blogger Shalee, at 8:45 AM  

  • I do that too, I ALWAYS make menus and then plan the grocery list accordingly. It's a real life saver :)

    By Blogger Sandra, at 9:10 AM  

  • I so need to do this. I run by the grocery store almost every few days and grab stuff for dinner. Of course, I always buy more than just dinner. I'm going to make my menu and a list this weekend and see if I can keep from going to the store for a whole week. I'm sure my wallet will appreciate that.

    By Blogger Traci, at 10:52 AM  

  • Menu plans are totally lifesavers! Great job! :)

    By Blogger Barb, sfo, at 12:43 PM  

  • Woah. That reminds me - I have absolutely no idea what we're having for dinner tonight.

    As for the 4 month-old...It's been 9 years and I can't remember it having been a problem. He sort of played in the playpen. His sister helped keep him entertained. When she was a baby...playpen, dangling toys, etc.

    The crockpot! Learn to love your crockpot! That did help me quite a bit.

    Thanks for the tip.

    By Blogger Carol, at 2:33 PM  

  • Great idea! That way he can't complain about what's for dinner, either! As for your 4 month old, I always try to prepare as much of the dinner earlier in the day when my babies are happier.

    By Blogger Nettie, at 8:04 PM  

  • Get any Desired College Degree, In less then 2 weeks.

    Call this number now 24 hours a day 7 days a week (413) 208-3069

    Get these Degrees NOW!!!

    "BA", "BSc", "MA", "MSc", "MBA", "PHD",

    Get everything within 2 weeks.
    100% verifiable, this is a real deal

    Act now you owe it to your future.

    (413) 208-3069 call now 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

    By Blogger m2df50, at 8:48 PM  

  • I love your idea. I have been aspiring to such a level of organization, but so far it eludes me!! :)

    As for the 4 month old... If you don't have an infant swing or bouncy seat, you've gotta have one. I put off getting both of these until DS was about 6 months old and couldn't believe the difference that made!

    By Blogger Heather, at 10:30 PM  

  • By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:52 PM  

  • By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6:13 PM  

  • By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:51 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home